Workout of the Day--October 23, 2015
On a 35-minute clock with a partner:
Complete as many rounds as possible in 30 minutes of:
Then, 5 minutes to find a 1-rep-max deadlift
Meet Josh and Kling Mountain Guides
Many of you in the morning classes have met Josh. You know, the scrappy guy always requesting obnoxiously loud, angry music...yet full of one-liner jokes lest you think he was taking his workout too seriously. Or perhaps you've heard him plotting ski routes with Sven after an 8:30 workout. Josh is the Kling of Kling Mountain Guides. He has built his life and career around being in the mountains and helping others find adventure in the mountains too. His adventures have some serious edge to them and he uses CrossFit to make sure his fitness is ready when needed.
Josh wrote a cool post on his site comparing CrossFit to Backcountry Skiing. I know many of you spend your winter weekends playing in the San Juans and beyond so I thought you might appreciate this. And of course, if your winter plans include Avalanche Courses, Guided Skiing, or Wilderness First Responder training, make sure to talk to Josh.
CrossFit vs Backcountry Skiing
This week, somebody turned on the switch for fall weather. It's wet, rainy, rumors of snow in the mountains on Facebook pages, and it's dark in the morning for the 5:30 AM CrossFit Catacombs class. While many are dreading the short days and cold temps, here at Kling Mountain Guides were are as excited as ever for the snow to start flying! The KMG inbox is starting to fill with requests for ski trips and avalanche courses.
After competing my WOD and allowing my heart rate to drop I started to think that CrossFit is not only great training for the ski season to come, but that backcountry skiing is just like CrossFit!
The only difference is there is a little more Type 1 fun with backcountry skiing....Here me out....
1) CrossFit, like backcountry skiing, is a community. You build bonds and friendships with the people you CrossFit with, and you build memories and friendships with those you ski with.
2) Like Crossfit, backcountry skiing is accessible to all ages and abilities (as long as you are willing to work at it). Pace, terrain, duration and location - all can be "scaled".
3) You tend to breathe really hard right after the workout. Usually with a massive grin on your face. But when you are done, YOU. ARE. PSYCHED! (check out this youtube video for some high altitude powder skiing)
4) Even conditions are not the best, it's still skiing! Just like CrossFit, even if it's not your favorite workout in the end you are still pretty psyched to have done it.
5) A Certified Coach will take your workout to the next level. You could complete a workout on your own, but having a trained and certified CrossFit coach goes a long way. All of the guides at Kling Mountain Guides have gone through training and certification from the American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA). KMG is the only guide service in Durango that adheres to these standards. The AMGA is the premier source for training, credentials, and services for professional mountain guides and climbing instructors in the United States. It is the only organization in the sole US representative to to International Federation of Mountain Guides Association (IFMGA). When you ski and climb with one of KMG's AMGA Certified Guides, you can rest assured that your guide has undergone strenuous training and examination from an outside party to the international standards for mountain and ski guiding.
There is only one real CrossFit and there is only one AMGA. There are other organizations that have surfaced, but we always recommend climbing and skiing with an AMGA Certified or IFMGA guide.
6) Sometimes your nervous before hand: Just like before a big CrossFit WOD, sometimes you are a little nervous before dropping into a big ski line.
7) After the WOD/Ski you are tired, sweaty, sore, and SO EXCITED FOR THE NEXT ONE! More burpees anyone?
For information on putting together a custom ski trip this winter, please get in touch with me or say hi at Catacombs!
AMGA Certified Alpine Guide & Certified Rock Guide
AMGA Assistant Ski Guide
IFMGA Aspirant Mountain Guide
Owner / Lead Guide, Kling Mountain Guides, LLC
Office: (970) 259-1708
Cell: (970) 903-8349