Workout of the Day--September 30, 2015
4 rounds for time of:
20 Front squats, (115/75)
20 Push press (115/75)
30 GHD sit ups/Ab mat sit ups
Spice Rubbed Chicken
Jan passed this recipe on to me with high praise for its ease of preparation and "lick the plate clean" deliciousness. I'm pretty sure Jan didn't lick the plate clean, but you know what I'm saying. Credit for the recipe goes to Hello Fresh (www.hellofresh.com).
Ingredients: Whole Chicken, cut into pieces, 8 oz Figs, 1 Red Onion, 12 oz Green Beans, 4 Scallions, 4T Honey, 1C Basmati Rice, 2t Coriander, 2t Cinnamon, 2C Chicken Broth, Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a small pot, bring 1 cup water and a large pinch of salt to a boil. Place the chicken on lightly oiled, rimmed baking sheet and pat dry with paper towels. If you do not have a rimmed baking sheet, a baking dish will do! Rub the chicken on all sides with salt, pepper, coriander, and cinnamon. Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and juices run clear when pierced with a knife.
- Meanwhile, add the rice to the boiling water. Reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 15-20 minutes, until tender. Thinly slice the scallions, keeping the greens and whites separate. Halve, peel, and slice the onion into ½-inch wedges. Quarter the figs.
- With 10 minutes to go on the chicken, take it out of the oven and add the figs and the onions to baking sheet along with 2 teaspoons olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the baking sheet back in the oven until the chicken is cooked through and the onions and figs have caramelized.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the green beans and cook, tossing, for 6-7 minutes until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Make the pan sauce: heat another 1 teaspoon oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites to the pan and cook, tossing, for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the chicken broth and honey to the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- When the chicken is ready, remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve the chicken atop the rice, with the roasted onions, figs, and green beans on the side. Pour the pan sauce over the plate, garnish with scallion greens and enjoy!