Many of you have already signed up for the Whole Life Challenge that starts on September 29th. Many more of you have told me that you intend to sign up. I'm guessing a lot of you are still on the fence. You need more information or a little arm twisting. Check out the video above for more information and talk to any of the coaches if you need a little arm twisting. While the kickoff is still a ways away, early registration ends September 12th. Save your self a little money and make the commitment now. Don't forget to join team Catacombs so that we can share the journey and support you along the way. Watch the video then sign up here.
Still reading? Well let me give you a little something more to think about. Just for a minute consider something…
Consider who you want to be on November 10th.
If you were at the very top of your health and well-being, what would you feel like? What would your family members and friends say about you? How much energy would you have?
So fast-forward and paint yourself a picture: What do you look like on November 10th?
Many of you have asked for another nutrition challenge. This tells me that you realize we are working on something bigger than just making it to the gym 3 days per week. Health encompasses so much more than exercise. In looking for ways to help our community be "healthier", I found the Whole Life Challenge. Initially skeptical, I kept coming back to it because of the simplicity of participating and the all-encompassing nature of the challenge. I also like that you can choose your level of participation so you don't have to sign up for something that you aren't ready for. Best of all, there is a team aspect to it and a platform for us to easily support one another.
So what is it and how does it work? The Whole Life Challenge (WLC) is basically a game that challenges us to “try on” a whole life of health and fitness for six weeks. We make a commitment to replace a few bad lifestyle habits with good lifestyle habits. It encompasses all areas of well-being like nutrition, stretching, exercise and stress management. As a team, we can win points and lose points (hopefully we’ll win more than we lose) by recording scores on a daily basis across a few different categories. And the prize is … Well, it’s who you are on November 10th.
The basic rules to the game are below:
- Eat by the WLC rules you choose at the level that is right for you. There are 3 levels to choose from depending on where you are in your nutrition journey. The Kickstart Level eliminates refined grains and sugars while allowing more convenience foods and 1 alcoholic drink per day. The Lifestyle Level additionally eliminates starches like white potatoes, soy, and many artificial sweeteners and limits alcohol to once per week. Finally, the Performance Level is further restrictive in eliminating corn, oats and all alcohol. There is a comprehensive list of all foods allowed/disallowed for each level on the front desk at the gym or you can find more info on the levels here. Earn up to 5 points daily for nutrition, but each day is a new day. You aren't kicked out if you have days that you aren't compliant, you just get less points that day.
- Exercise for at least 10 minutes each day. We recommend 3-5 Catacombs workouts each week. The other days you earn your exercise points by being active. Ride your bike, kayak, hike, even walk. This is your time to move daily. You earn 2 points for exercise.
- Stretch for at least 10 minutes each day. You earn 2 points for stretching.
- Water One third of your body weight in oz. of water each day (20 ml per kg). You earn 1 point for water.
- Live the WLC weekly lifestyle practice – things like sleep, meditate, & supporting others. You earn 1 point each day you complete the weekly lifestyle task.
- Reflect at the end of each day and check in with how it went and how you’re doing. No amount of numbers can paint the whole picture. Your daily reflection helps you see how the challenge is really going. You earn 1 point daily for your reflection.
Shoot, it kind of sounds fun, doesn't it? When you are ready to register (and I know you are going to want to), join the Catacombs team here. Friends and family are welcome to join the Catacombs team too. Go ahead, rope in your coworkers, spouses, and friends. It will keep you more accountable and help them get healthier in the process.