Workout of the Day--May 27, 2015
20 Minutes: Every Minute on the Minute
Even: 3 burpees + 5 deadlifts (255/165 or 75% of 1 rep max)
Odd: 3 ring dips + 15 KB swings (24kg/16kg)
Skill: Bar Muscle Ups
Paleo Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Many of us are in the thick of the Whole Life Challenge. I can't speak for everyone, but I love the way I feel when I'm eating clean, limiting alcohol, and focusing each day on hydration, mobility, and quality sleep. I think I CAN speak for everyone when I say that I don't love having to pass on chips, desserts, and other indulgences that I might normally enjoy. Elizabeth and Tom Helms passed on this recipe for muffins that are so decadent, they hardly seem compliant. But alas, they are. Enjoy and feel a little less bitter about passing on dessert.
- 1 cup almond butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (substitute pureed dried dates or mashed ripe bananas)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1-2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1-2 tbsp paleo approved dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces (I skipped this but you could use unsweetened baker's chocolate.)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with cups. Squeeze any excess moisture out of the shredded zucchini. In a medium bowl, mix together the almond butter, eggs, syrup, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the coconut flour and cocoa powder. Add the vinegar and baking soda and stir to combine. Fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Add about 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup. Sprinkle with the dark chocolate pieces. Lower the oven heat to 350 degrees F. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm.