Like it or not, the holiday season is upon us. The festivities, dinners, and parties are great times to enjoy family and friends. But as we all know, the period between Thanksgiving and New Year's can become a health/fitness/nutrition disaster if we aren't careful. Sometimes, even when we are disciplined on the nutrition piece, we find ourselves stressed, unhappy and out of our routine during this period. You don't have to go down that path, but it will take focused effort AND A PLAN to avoid it.
We will talk more about the importance of maintaining your exercise and nutrition routine over the next couple of months, but I want to give you the lowdown on a great (and free!) way to stay on track between Thanksgiving and New Year's. Concept 2 is the company that makes our rowing machines and our soon to be delivered Ski Erg. They host a number of rowing challenges throughout the year. Now, I know that many of you love rowing almost as little as I do...which is pretty microscopic. But I also know that you can't say no to a good challenge. So it seems like a perfect time to work a weakness, get some fitness during a traditionally low fitness period, and have some fun.
Full disclosure: I have never successfully completed this challenge though my previous gym has participate numerous times. ANYONE can do this if you commit the time and make it a priority. Trust me, you do not hate rowing more than I do and I am signed up.
- Row and/or ski 100,000 meters from November 24 to December 31. The "official challenge" ends December 24th, but we are going to extend until New Year's Eve.
- Support great causes with your meters! Concept 2 makes a donation to charity for every kilometer that participants row.
- Log your meters online (it's free) to keep track of progress. Better yet, join the Catacombs Team to support and be supported by the rest of the community.
- Make it a family affair. Kids Holiday Challenge allows kids (aged 16 and under) to participate at 50,000 meters.
All meters rowed as part of warmups and WODs at Catacombs are eligible. We will have additional times available to come in and row each week of the challenge. These times will be posted in advance. Members are welcome to use the rowers during other group class times to accumulate meters when space and rower availability permit. Classes and private training sessions have priority so just ask before jumping in. Kids are welcome to participate but they must have a parent present and actively supervising.
Holiday Challenge Charities
There's also a charitable giving aspect to the Holiday Challenge. Here's how it works: For every person who rows or skis 100k during the challenge, Concept2 will donate $.02 per kilometer (1000 meters) to your choice of the this year's selected charities. Once you get beyond 100k, we'll donate $.04 per additional kilometer. Note: For kids and adaptive participants, the $.04 rate will take effect at 50k.
This year's charities are as follows:
How To Participate
- You must have an Online Logbook at concept2.com (it's FREE!) and all of your meters must be entered into your Online Logbook. If you don't already have one, visit the Online Logbook home page and follow the directions to register. Kids Challenge participants need to set up an individual logbook (using a parent's email address is fine). Don't forget to register for the CrossFit Catacombs Team.
- Under the Profile tab, enter your current mailing address. This is to ensure we have your correct mailing address for mailing your pin (see below for how to qualify).
- After you row/ski, record your meters in your Online Logbook. The Online Logbook automatically calculates your meters during the challenge.
- Visit the Challenges page in your Online Logbook. When you've reached your goal, the Challenges page of the Online Logbook automatically recognizes your achievement and displays instructions for claiming your rewards.